Amazing Air Duct Gastonia also provide dryer vent cleaning in Gastonia NC.
What is dryer vent cleaning?
A dryer’s vent is normally a 4-inch tube, which measures 5 feet to 40 feet long, attached at the back of every drier to expel the water-laden air and lint from the dryer to the exterior. This vent is usually in the form of a rigid or semi-rigid tube.
Dryer vent cleaning involves the removal of lint trapped in your drier and the lint buildup in the vent. This is done by detaching the transition duct from the drier and the wall, vacuum cleaning the entire vent from where it attaches to the drier, to where it attaches to the house. You clean the dryer’s linter filter, as well as the vent cap assembly.
It will also involve replacing any flexible transition ducts made of plastic or vinyl, that are between the drier and the main that is usually placed within a wall, with metallic ones. This is so because the transition ducts made of plastic or vinyl can easily catch fire, compared to the metallic ones.
It is easy for you to clean your dryer vent system by yourself, but you can always engage the services of a professional, who have the proper tools and training, to clean and inspect the system and make sure that it is safe. They also provide you with diagnostic testing after the cleaning service, indicating the amount of pressure sent up the vent, any gaps that may be in the vent pipe, and the number of gases that may escape into your home.
They remove the vent cap on the outside, insert a vacuum tube and a snake brush inside the venting pipe, to eradicate all debris that may be causing a blockage. The snake brush scrapes any solid masses that may have attached to the venting pipe, taking special care, especially at the elbows and bends where lint and debris build up easily and vacuum them out.
Why is it important to clean the dryer vent?
It is important to regularly clean and inspects your dryer vent for the health and safety of your home and family.
A blocked vent will not exhaust properly. This may cause the drier to overheat, threatening the safety of your home and family by causing structural fires. These fires can result in serious injuries, even death.
Regular cleaning of your dryer vent will assist in keeping common dryer problems away, for its efficient operation.
Regular maintenance of the vent is important to keep a check on any leaks near the duct, as this moist environment can lead to the growth of molds.
The exterior end of the vent is normally outside and open. If regular checks are not carried out, rodents and insects may find their way down the vent. Keep this area clean by clearing off any bushes and debris.
Clogged dryer vents may cause bad odors and poisonous gas fumes to back up into your house, affecting the health of your family
What can happen if you do not clean the dryer vent?
By not cleaning the dryer regularly, you expose your family and house to various hazards:
- When a blocked vent does not exhaust properly and the drier overheats, structural fires can occur, leading to the destruction of property, serious injuries, and even cause death.
- When your drier does not operate efficiently, it ends up consuming unnecessary large quantities of energy to operate.
- On efficiency, when the vent is clogged, the drying of clothes that would normally have taken 30 to 45 minutes, will now take longer than that, and the clothes might also not dry up properly.
- If any water leaks happen along the length of the duct causes mold to grow, the mold spores can be breathed in by the home occupants, causing health issues with the respiratory system and allergic reactions.
- If bushes grow around the exterior, open end of the vent, birds might build their nests there, and rodents might also find their way into the vent and into your home.
- A clogged drier vent can cause poisonous gases like carbon monoxide, and musty odors are released into the house every time you dry your clothes. You are posing a direct health risk and discomfort to the family.
How often should you clean your dryer vent?
In the US, the fire department recommends that residential dryer vents be cleaned once a year.
But for those homes that use their drier more than twice a week, the recommendation would be that their vents get cleaned as regularly as possible, about three to four times in a year.
For more information about dryer vent cleaning in Gastonia NC call us at: 980-285-1157